Pakistan News Service

Saturday Sep 18, 2021, Safar 10, 1443 Hijri
Logo
LATEST :
Pakistan News Home -> Top -> News Details

Quetta shootout: 2 suspected militants killed, 15 security men injured

07 June, 2013

QUETTA: As many as five people, including two women and a child were killed and 15 security personnel including an officer injured in a clash with suspected members of a banned outfit in Kharoatabad area here on Thursday.

Security sources told media that police backed by personnel of Frontier Corps (FC) raided Kharotabad area of provincial capital following a tip-off that some members of a banned outfit were present in a house in Killi Barat area of Kharotabad, in the outskirts of Quetta.

"Security personnel surrounded the house early in the morning and asked the accused to surrender, upon which the accused attacked security personnel with hand grenades, rockets and heavy weapons," they said, adding that 15 security personnel, including an officer were injured.

Some of the injured were identified as Lieutenant Colonel Bilal Ahmed, Lance Naik Abdul Samad, Sepoy Shafi, Salam, Nazeer Ahmed, Nadeem, Inayat ullah and Arid.

Sources said that security personnel fired back in retaliation due to which five people, including two accused, two women and a child, who were inside the house were killed.

"The militants blew themselves up with detonators to avoid arrest avoiding which left two women and a child dead," claimed security officials.

Sources said that four members of an intelligence agency were also injured in the attack.

People of the area told media that the firing started at midnight and continued till morning with intervals. "We also heard heavy explosions that rocked the entire area and spread panic among the people," they added. DIG Operation Fayyaz Sumbal told media that law enforcement agencies faced strong resistance for about 5 hours, adding that over 20 explosions occurred which also included four Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blasts.

"At 8am when security personnel surrounded the house and tried to arrest the accused, they exploded themselves," he added.

DIG Operation said that security personnel and members of intelligence agencies, who sustained injuries in the attack, were in a stable condition and had been admitted in CMH for medical aid.

The bodies of the suspected militants, women and the child were shifted to Civil Hospital for medico-legal formalities. One of the accused was identified as Habibullah while the identity of the other could not be ascertained.

Police said that arms and explosives were also recovered from the house.

In May 2011 police and Frontier Corps opened fire on four unarmed Russians and a Tajik, saying they were suicide bombers who attacked a checkpoint in Kharotabad on the outskirts of Quetta.

A subsequent judicial commission found that the Tajik and the Russians, three of whom were women and one of whom was pregnant, were unarmed. It sacked two police officials over the killings.

End.

 What do you think about the story ? Leave your comments!

Heading (Optional)
Your Comments: *

Your Name:*
E-mail (Optional):
City (Optional):
Country (Optional):
 
 
Field marked(*) are mandatory.
Note. The PakTribune will publish as many comments as possible but cannot guarantee publication of all. PakTribune keeps its rights reserved to edit the comments for reasons of clarity, brevity and morality. The external links like http:// https:// etc... are not allowed for the time being to be posted inside comments to discourage spammers.

  Speak Out View All
Military Courts
Imran - Qadri long march
 
Candid Corner
Exclusive by
Lt. Col. Riaz Jafri (Retd)
Pakistan itself a victim of state-sponsored terrorism: Qamar Bajwa
Should You Try Napping During the Workday?
Suggested Sites